Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Russell Forest to Whananaki


Thursday 4th March - On to Whananaki - 30 km - 8 hours

Now in the Whangarei section of Te Araroa. From the Russell Walkway through Mokau to Helena Bay, then some backroads to the start of what will soon be an officially complete Morepork - Onekainga Track.

The first section was an old forest road winding through fairly open manuka scrub - shade much appreciated on a hot day. I had then been well briefed on the turnoff to the new section - made, but not officially marked. So, with help from the Te Araroa map and my GPS I found that track that took me to the end of the DOC area, and then handed me over to the welcome orange markers through private land, taking me first to the Onekainga trig for a super view out to sea, and then down after not much longer through a paddock of Charolais cows and calves onto the Whananaki road.

A pleasant diversion after a short distance onto the Estuary walk, to meet Hazel near the longest pedestrian bridge in the southern hemisphere across the Whananaki Estuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment